Internet speed matters more than anything in this generation; we all know how our world is changing into a digital world. Shows that used to be on TV are on streaming on other platforms—everything from Elections to Entertainment Shows and even the Olympics. Everything is online these days, and that’s why to watch them comfortably without having any buffering, you must get a connection with good internet speed.
That being said, many people have their own choices in devices when it comes to watching online videos. Some people wait and stream videos on the phone, while some people love to watch on their smart television. So for different devices, you need to have different speeds, as for mobile phone SD quality is enough to see clearly while for smart TV, you will need at least an HD quality to see the video. This is why we will talk about different things related to speed. Lucky you! Because this article tells you everything, you need to know about streaming online.
Speed Requirements For Different Qualities
While we like to stream our video in higher quality, we cannot enjoy it until we have a specific Internet speed connection. Streaming videos in different conditions will need different internet speeds.
The SD video quality is also known as your Standard Definition, which is your 720*480, which makes your 480p streaming quality. SD video quality great for streaming videos on Mobile phones, and it’s perfect for them. So if you want to stream videos in your SD quality, you will need an internet speed of at least 1.2Mbps.
The HD video quality is called your High Definition video quality. HD is your 1280*720, which makes it 720p streaming quality. Often used for your iPad, laptop, etc. The minimum internet speed required to have an HD streaming quality without any buffering is 3Mbps.
The UHD is your Ultra High Definition that is your 1920*1080 that gives you a 1080p streaming quality or more. UHD is an excellent quality to watch movies on any platform, whether it’s your phone, laptop, smart TV or even in a small projector. The minimum internet speed required to stream UHD video is at least 5Mbps.
4K is the real deal now, and this is where you go beyond Ultra High Definition. The 4k video quality is used in smart television and projectors for a theatre. Mobile phones and laptops don’t usually support this streaming quality. So it’s just for TV and projectors. The minimum internet speed required to stream 4k video quality is at least 25Mbps.
Speed Required For Different Streaming Platforms
While you might think that streaming speed for different platforms should be the same, it’s not true as different platforms have different required streaming speeds. So let’s check them.
The speed requirement for Netflix starts with just 1.5Mbps for mobile phones. Although if you use a laptop or TV 1.5Mbps internet speed will not give you a buffer-free video quality.
- For streaming 480p in Netflix on your computer or TV, you will need at least 3Mbps of internet speed.
- For streaming a High Definition video quality on your computer, you will need at least an internet speed of 4Mbps or more.
- For streaming Ultra High Definition quality, you will need at least 5Mbps or more internet speed.
- If you want to watch 4k streaming quality, the minimum required speed will be your 15Mbps or more, but Netflix prefers you to get 25Mbps of internet speed.
YouTube does give you a slight advantage while streaming your videos.
- For a Standard Definition video quality, you need an internet speed of 1Mbps or more.
- To stream a High Definition video quality, you will need an internet speed of at least 2.5Mbps or more.
- For your Ultra High Definition video quality, you just required an Internet speed of 4Mbps or more.
- Now, if you want to stream 4k videos, you will need 15Mbps speed for a comfortable streaming experience.
When you watch videos on Hulu, it does give you an advantage on some qualities, while on some streaming attributes, it takes a little more internet speed than others.
- For Standard Definition video quality, you need an internet speed of at least 1.5Mbps.
- If you want to stream High definition, you will need just 3Mbps of internet speed.
- For Ultra High Definition, Hulu takes a little more internet speed than others. The minimum internet speed you will need is 6Mbps.
- Now for 4k, it gives you speed benefits and lets you stream at just 13Mbps internet speed.
4. Sling TV
Internet speed for Sling TV for different streaming quality
- For Standard Definition, you will need an internet speed of 1.5 Mbps. But on TV you will need at least 3Mpbs.
- For High Definition, you will require 4Mbps or more.
- For Ultra High Definition, you will need at least an internet speed of 5Mbps or more.
- For 4k streaming on Sling TV, you will need a rate of at least 15Mbps or more.
So it’s simple if you want to have the best streaming quality for your TV or other devices. The internet speed with 25Mpbs will be the best option for you to go, as with that speed, you can stream in any quality and any platform with any trouble. Although if you still want to stream on a laptop or your PC. It will be fine to get a speed of 10Mpbs or 15Mpbs for the best quality of video streaming.